Thursday, July 5, 2012

Where Your Treasure Is, There Will Your Heart Be Also




I won't ever forget the fights of me and my dad over me reading the Harry Potter books. I was begging and pleading. I remember telling him I'd keep my room spotless until I was 30! Looking back I can see why that didn't work my room was always clean and I was independent. I also tried All A report card; again I can see why didn't work. I would tear up if I got a B much less anything else.

He came home one day after I had started the my year 4 (remember I did not grow up in America and school system names are highly different) and he handed it to me. Now I understand why he did that. The stepmom that had raised me was dying and he was already liking the nurse taking care of her. I threw myself into Harry Potter after that. What was crazy was me remembering when dad married the nurse was her taking me and my sister to see the first movie.

I still have my very first copy. Its now so worn out. It has stains on it, pages bent, and several pages are loose. That was my escape from a lot of things. I would be mad and I would open these books to a whole new world. I would become one of the trio. I grew with these books.

When we returned to the US, I began attending the book parties of the books being released and I was in love with books. It took me barely a day to read the fifth book. I loved it and hated it (its my least favorite book, minus the Fred and George part.) I had begun to love Sirus in the books and she kills him. It killed my spirit almost. It felt like she had killed a part of me.

That was only the beginning. I bawled like a baby while reading the last book. It started with Hedwig and ended with Fred and Snape. My heart was racing while I read the last one. I was a mess while reading it. These were my family and friends and they were dying. To me its what it honestly felt like. I connected with these characters. Some part of me knew that Snape wasn't as bad as he seemed. Though I do have a thing for long noses and long hair on guys and that was the beginning.

While others rant and bark about Harry's eyes and Hermione's dress color. Krum was suppose to look different and Barty Crouch Junior was suppose to look different. Peeves was suppose to be in the films.

I am a huge collector of everything Harry Potter. I have been to the Wizarding World of Harry Potter three times now. It's home to me almost. I have read Twilight, but it will never be like Harry Potter for me. Vampires to me will always be the ones Quirrell was afraid of or a guest at Slughorn's party. As for love........

I was the one rooting for Harry and Hermione. Ginny and Harry took me by surprise. Ron and Hermione took a while to digest. Though, I will never forget my shock and heartache empathy I felt while reading about Snape and Lily. I was rocked to the core while reading that part. His love her shone until the very end.

I reread and watch the movies every year. Not one year goes by that I don't. I know buy almost every limited edition of the DVDs, books, and really anything. I have a Quidditch broom, several different brands of their wands, several of the textbooks, and the video games.

Everyone else can dream of an Edward, I want a Snape. Even after death, he carried his love for Lily. Bella nor Edward were that strong. Edward promotes suicide and in the same way so does Bella. Snape and Lily prove to live and die for something.

I am proud to be a Potterhead:



It will never be over for me. Fanfiction, cosplay, the hundreds of Harry Potter bands, and the theme parks. 

Many people wonder how I can read these and be a Christian. That's easy. I know the books are fiction. I don't read them thinking magic is real. These are no different than Bewitched and millions of older people watched that show, along with I Dream of Genie. (That was another bomb toward my dad.) These are what they were, entertainment and good for the mind. 

“‘I’m going to have a lot of fun with Dudley this summer… .’”
“And together they walked back through the gateway to the Muggle world.”
“And, grinning broadly at the look of horror on Uncle Vernon’s face, Harry set off toward the station exit, Hedwig rattling along in front of him, for what looked like a much better summer than the last."
“As Hagrid had said, what would come, would come … and he would have to meet it when it did."
“Instead he smiled, raised a hand in farewell, turned around, and led the way out of the station toward the sunlit street, with Uncle Vernon, Aunt Petunia, and Dudley hurrying along in his wake.”
“His hand closed automatically around the fake Horcrux, but in spite of everything, in spite of the dark and twisting path he saw stretching ahead for himself, in spite of the final meeting with Voldemort he knew must come, whether in a month, in a year, or in ten, he felt his heart lift at the thought that there was still one last golden day of peace left to enjoy with Ron and Hermione.”
"All was well."


No comments: