Monday, June 11, 2012

Snacking Healthy

There is one habit I know I don't possess that I have seen that many people dealing with on a daily basis. That's the habit of going to the hallway and putting in some money pressing a bunch of buttons and "caaaaa-ching" your prize is at the bottom. Yep the snacking from the vending machine. 

I love soda, but here recently I kicked the habit of unhealthy sugar loaded, empty carbonated drink. I drink tea. If I still want some carbonation I take soda water and real lemon juice together, or whatever fruit I have on hand. (Though I did try cucumber, tasted ok.)

I follow several health blogs, fitness centers, and Doctors through, Faceboo, Twitter, and Google reader. I came up the system that works for me. 

Protein gives you lasting energy. Carbohydrate helps you feel full and satisfied. When I snack, I snack small. I have a list of proteins snacks I like and carb snacks that I like. I have these on hand for during the day between breakfast and lunch, and then again between lunch and dinner. 

Do I always follow this EVERY SINGLE day? No. I strive to do so, but there are days when I really want a milkshake on my way home. The other day while shopping those cookies with the icing in the middle, those little demon cookies that are called Double Doozies? Yeah I got one. 

The items on these lists are not what I always have for snacks. Sometimes I make a certain roll-up with meats, veggies and cheeses. If you want more recipes from me just ask.

Protein List
I am going to list the measurements that I do to make sure its half a snack

11 almonds
1 small (8 oz) latte made with skim milk
1 tbsp of peanut butter
1 cup of yogurt
2 mini Babybel light cheese (LOVE, and they taste great melted on crackers)
1/2 cup of bean salsa
1 skim string cheese
16 mini rice cakes (Quaker kind)

Carbs List
Again measured to be just half a snack.

15 baked tortilla chips
3 cups of light popcorn
1 sheet of graham crackers (goes great in the yogurt)
1/2 cup of blackberries and raspberries
15 small whole grain crackers
1/2 cup of veggie sticks
10 M&Ms
1 scoop of low-fat chocolate ice cream or fro-yo

These are not all the snack options I do this is just to give you an idea of some the options you can do that I actually do. Just pair a protein with a carb and you'll feel energized and full at the same time. 

I live by myself therefor I have a lot of leftover food so I pack it the next day for lunch and I purchased this:
Sassy On the Go Feeding Set
It holds whatever I'm eating and my snacks. 

No comments: