Sunday, October 21, 2012

Halloween Reviews!

I loved Halloween as child. I begged every year to be a witch, but they always wanted me to be something else. I hated the year I was a stupid butterfly! Omg I took ballet lessons until I was 16 and when I was six year old I hated wearing a leotard that didn't have a little skirt to it. So I hated the leotard they put me and then to make matters worse they stuck these big ugly pale pink, glittery wings on me and then this felt thing over my front that had glitter on it. I hated it. Back then I wasn't a big fan of dogs so trick or treating meant my big brothers go to carry me. One house that year they put me down once we got to the porch and the crazy lady let her dog just run right at us. Well I took off running. Daddy and all of my brothers swear those wing really did work because they had never seen me run so fast before that night.

I thought I would share with you a humorous story of my childhood because I have yet to live that down even though we are in a different country and it's been 17 years. (Ok ouch that makes me feel old.) Anyhow, I'm going to share with you three things for Halloween. One is a movie that I swear I watch even when it's not Halloween. I've been watching this since I was able to watch movies. Another one is a movie as well, but I only watch it at Halloween. Finally, I'm going to share with you a book I just finished reading this morning.

First, the movie that for many years was my ABSOLUTE favorite movie. This was before Harry Potter came along. When I sat down to write this post I came across a pin on Pinterest that caused anguish for me. I cannot pick between Harry Potter and... The Worst Witch. However, not the HBO television series. The 1986 television movie that Tim Curry, Fairuza Balk, Liz May Brice, Charlotte Rae, and Diana Rigg, all had amazing roles in the movie. The movie is based on the book The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy. Mildred Hubble is a clumsy, unsure of herself, witch growing up in a school where the other students' families has all been witches. She gets ridiculed by a lot of the students because it seems like everything she does is wrong and sometimes it's because of sabotage by her classmates. I highly recommend watching it. I used to watch this movie year round and especially when it was on the Disney Channel until they stopped airing it.

The second movie is one I am almost positive that VERY few people have heard of because it's so rare. Chris and his ex girlfriend are the first people I have ever come in contact with that not only have heard of this movie but have it as well. (Of course Chris' ex also loved the Worst Witch and it used to be her favorite movie.) The Halloween That Almost Wasn't has been a favorite of mine and theirs for years! I had no idea that there were other people in the world (let alone people I talk to on daily basis) that knew about this movie. It was also a television movie but this is one is slightly older. Dating all the way back to 1979. It too also played on the Disney Channel, but Disney likes to have things over hyped these days. When it was released to VHS it was retitled The Night Dracula Saved the World. The main witch that is suppose to fly across the moon refuses to because she thinks he takes all the credit for Halloween. It is a great movie that has Judd Hirsch, Mariette Hartly, Henry Gibson, Jack Riley, and John Schuck all in it. 

My last review is a book I could not put down. It has actually been turned into a series since I received it as a gift a little less than 10 years ago. I know I'm horrible. Normally I'm all about a book, but something held me back from reading this. Now I see why the Lord wanted me to read this book at this point in my life. In Boo by Rene Gutteridge, a small town in Indiana has been living off the image a local novelist has given their town. Skary, Indiana has been boasting for 16 years that they have the famous Wolfe Boone living in their small town. However, when he decided to give up writing horror stories and get saved the town goes into complete shock. People start judging "Boo" as they call him. Did he get saved to throw them and to give them some more to talk about? Did he do it to get closer to them to find out dark secrets? Or did he do it to win the heart of the Sheriff's daughter? Or is he really feeling the Lord speak to him? I highly recommend this book. I am going to finish the series. I am heading to Lifeway on Tuesday to complete my series of it.


No comments: