Thursday, June 5, 2014

Fresh Start Challenge Day 24: Holy Lands





A little over a year ago I had the privilege to go to Israel.

Chris and I traveled through the Holy Lands with our eyes wide and heart open.

There are two things that stand out to me as the most spiritual moments in my life.

First one:

We were baptized in the River Jordan. I cried as I lifted back up out of the water. I was baptized in almost the same place as Jesus himself was and my body was trembling even though it was very hot outside. I watched Chris get baptized as well. We both stood praying to the side of our group we were with for the trip. I felt so cleansed and renewed.

Second time:

We went to see The Church of Holy Sepulchre. When we went it was not very busy at all which we learned was very rare. The Church of the Holy Sepulchre contains the Tomb of Christ and also Golgotha, the place of the crucifixion. Chris and I walked around and finally got in line. The line let to a table and we could see people crawling under the table. I know I gasped when I realized what they were doing and what we were about to do. This was where the cross once stood. The cross was erected between two rocks where the blood of Jesus fell on. We were about to have an opportunity to touch the rock where Jesus was crucified. Underneath the altar, there is a hole through which we put our arm through to touch the rock. By doing this, we touched the rock where Jesus died.

I was crying and I felt Chris's body shaking with tears. We prayed together as well there. It was an experience I never will forget.



No comments: