Sunday, December 2, 2012

Advent Week 1: Hope

"Here is my servant whom I have chosen, the one I love, in whom I delight. I will put my Spirit on him, and he will proclaim justice to the nations... In his name the nations will put their hope." -Matthew 12:18, 21
Hope is the first topic to begin our spiritual journey. Light a purple Advent candle together as a family.


"Do not let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God; trust also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms; if it were not so, I would have told you. I am going there to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come back and take you to be with me that you also may be where I am." - John 14:1-3
As Christians we have a great reason to hope! John 1:1 proclaims that, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God." John 1:14 goes on to say, "The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us. We have seen his glory, the glory of the One and Only, who came from the Father, full of grace and truth." The Word is Jesus, the living God! We know that everything Scripture tells us is true because it is not only from God, it is God, the Word.

When the prophet Isaiah foretold the birth of Chris, a new hope was born into the world, a hope that lives in us today. And after Jesus came in the flesh, He promised to return and take us to be with Him, giving us eternal hope that surpasses the condition of our life on earth.

Take a moment and talk about the things you want and the things for which you hope-- as individuals and as a family. Many of them may be of temporary value, but some will have deep eternal longings as well. Now think and talk about the things you hope for this week, this Christmas season, the new year to come, your lifetime on earth and your next life in heaven. Now ponder in your heart what it will be like to see Jesus face-to-face in all His glory and splendor, and imagine what it will be like to go where He is. Talk about the hope and comfort we have as believers, and that someday Christ will take us home where sin and death have no place.

Your spiritual journey begins the moment you believe in this extraordinary hope and lasts through all eternity.I  invite you to open the Word and open your heart, and begin this day in a deeper relationship with the One and Only, Jesus Christ, our Lord and Savior.

Today was amazing at church. It was decorated beautifully, we had communion, every song was Christmas songs, and the advent was amazing. The best part of all was watching my best friend who I wasn't sure if she would ever come to God went before everyone and dedicated her life. It was very memorable.


Heavenly Father, we thank You for the blessing of Your world and Your son in our lives. We thank You for the hope of our heavenly home where our family can dwell together with You forever in Christ's name we pray. Amen.

No comments: