Thursday, December 6, 2012

Advent: Hope: Thursday

For today's devotion for Advent there is a special activity. I'm sure you have grown over the year and changed. People change without even really realizing it. There are people all over the world who don't have many nice things, so why not spread the joy of Christmas to them? Sort through your belongings such as clothes and toys. Giving away slightly used items is a way of being selfless and that's a way to celebrate the gifts God gives us daily. Donate food items as well. Toys for Tots and Good Will are just a couple of organizations that are there to help people in need. Also check out your church or local churches in your surrounding area.
"Whoever has my commands and obeys them, he is the one who loves me. He who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I too will love him and show myself to him. Then Judas ( not Judas Iscariot) said, "But, Lord, why do you intend to show yourself to us and not to the rest of the world?" Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. He who does not love me will not obey my teaching. These words you hear are not my own; they belong to the Father who sent me." - John 14: 21-24
What an awesome hope in our time, study, prayer, and obedience to the Word, Jesus will reveal himself to us and lead us into a deeper relationship with Him. We are simply to obey. Parents teach children to obey because they want them to be safe and secure. In the same way, our heavenly Father asks us to His will for the same reasons. Obedience is a positive thing. When God prompts us to do or not do something, remember that blessing will surely follow if we're obedient. The quicker we act out His will, the sooner we will be blessed. Obey the Lord's commands and you'll abide in the love of the Father and the Son, and the Holy Spirit.

Dear Heavenly Father,
Help us to know You more and to be obedient to You in all things that we may bring glory to Your nam. We make this request in Christ's name. Amen


No comments: